Thursday, August 11, 2016

Cycle Three: The relationship between schools and homes



Once I realized The Schoolhome was about Maria Montessori and the Montessori schooling, this book became a reluctant read for me. I delayed reading it for the first couple days of the week before I got my act together and realized I needed to get over my own biases towards the Montessori schooling way. So, I started reading with the most unbiased view of the subject I could muster. One thing I learned that I did not know is that Maria Montessori opened her second school in Rome in apartment buildings that were unfinished, unsafe, and unsanitary. The poor and recently released prisoners moved into these buildings, along with their children. Not knowing what to do with children too young for school that were running around all day while their parents were at work, the authorities asked Maria Montessori for help. So, she built a school in each of the apartment buildings.
            Virginia Woolf spoke of the bridge, the gateway to society and how women were beginning to cross over it, enter the workforce, and leave their children at home in the process. She spoke of what that did to the child/children at home. She talked about what that did to the child/children at home and how Montessori’s method of education went along with those changes taking place in society. Montessori knew that the connection between home and school was a strong one, so she wanted her school to strongly resemble “home”, even for many children who did not have a safe or welcoming home. That is one of the reasons that she called her school the school home instead of the school house.
            I, too, know that there is such an important connection between home and school, one that we do not value enough in current educational fields. I do not understand what makes Maria Montessori’s schools more “homier” than public schools. I say this partly because I worked in a Montessori preschool/Kindergarten school for the first two years after graduating college. Since I do not have a Montessori teaching degree or certification, I was only able to work there as a teacher aid. There was nothing in the classrooms that seemed any “homier” to me than in public schools. All the materials were on wooden shelves, in trays, or wooden baskets. Children had the choice of sitting and working on tables and chairs or rugs. In a public school classroom, at least for lower elementary school, students are welcomed into the class with colorful posters on the walls, their names on desks, sometimes, bean bag chairs or other inviting areas for reading, etc. A teacher in a Montessori setting or public school setting wants to make their children feel welcomed, safe, and loved; just like what they should be experiencing at home.
            I worked at that the Montessori school for two years, each under a different director. The first director was, in no better words, a hippie. She let the kids do whatever they wanted to do; if they wanted to run back and forth from one room to another, she let them. If they still needed to be fed their lunch and snack, we would feed them without at least making them try on their own. When she left, I asked her if she could write me a letter of recommendation and she said I would not need one because principals would see my aura and know what a good teacher I was. The second director was very rigid and strict. The students must properly roll the rug and put it back, and if they did not, she would unroll it and have them reroll it until it was done perfectly. If they could not feed themselves, they sat at the table and cried. That was really hard for me to watch. She did not smile at the children. We were not allowed to tell the children that we “liked” what they did. We had to say, “And how do you feel about that?” Everyone worked quietly and independently. In the epilogue, Martin mentioned walking into a third grade classroom seeing 25 students working silently, reading books independently, and discussed their books with the teacher. It is great that the students were working independently so nicely, but do they always need to be working on their own? Isn’t there something to be said from working collaboratively with peers? One of the reasons I have my students sitting in tables instead of on their own, is so they can work together on classwork. It is important for students to be able to build their social skills as well as academic skills.
            She also mentions how nicely Montessori teachers incorporate a diverse curriculum even though diversity is not very much included in our currently curriculum. Students read Huckleberry Finn and Little Women, boys do not think they should have to read Little Women, but end up relating to it anyway. High school students make time to listen to Martin Luther King, Jr’s “I Have a Dream Speech”. Once again, that is fantastic, but nothing different from what public school teachers do for their students, as well. Montessori schooling is put on such a high pedestal and I wonder if Maria Montessori’s original vision for what her schools would be and who they would teach has been lost throughout the years. I say this because she started her school to help children from disadvantaged areas, but think about who goes to Montessori in this day and age. It is definitely not the children that come from disadvantaged areas. For one, they do not have the money to afford Montessori school. I just yesterday enrolled my three year old into nursery school for the fall. Classes are two days a week for two hours each day. I looked into the cost of the Montessori program offered by the district and that is $395/month!! That is more than three times the amount I am paying for nursery school. How many people can actually afford that? Certainly not the families of students I used to teach in inner city Detroit. I wonder what Maria Montessori would think of the way her schools are run now.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Neesha!

    Great post! I was drawn to your writing about The Schoolhome because of your initial reluctance to reading the book. It was interesting that you had experience in a Montessori classroom, but were not eager to read the text due to your experience. I'm curious what most turned you away from the Montessori style of learning as you taught there. Was it the drastic change in directors or the learning style of exploring independently. It seems that your Montessori experience was very like that of American public schools, except for some of your materials, curriculum, and student learning styles. I was struck by Martin's impression of students working quietly on their own. Were your students like those of the third grade classroom Jane Roland Martin described? You mentioned that they worked quietly and independently. I find it so strange that preschoolers and kindergarteners work by themselves! My kindergarten students are always so busy and love socializing, so this is why I find it different that yours were quiet and independent. I agree with you that there is something to be said about collaborating together. I firmly believe that students can learn so much from working, talking, and playing with their peers. I feel that there has been a big push for collaboration in American schools (at least the few that I've been at). The days of the silent classrooms are gone and now many schools want students talking, thinking, and working together meaningfully about the content being learned. Both my former school in Chicago Public Schools and my new school in Florida have a push for teachers using Kagan Strategies. I'm not sure if you're familiar, but they're essentially different strategies for getting students to collaborate.

    I agree with you that your type of Montessori school may not be what Maria Montessori had in mind when she opened her first schools. I found it interesting that her school was opened for poor children, but the image I have of Montessori schools is made up of advantaged students. I know this is probably not the case everywhere, but it's what I picture. The Montessori schools that I know of are either expensive like the one you described or are public Montessori schools, so they don't follow many of the traditional ways of learning. From what I know, the public Montessori schools have to follow some guidelines and standards of regular public schools in America, so there is not as much freedom for students to learn on their own as in traditional Montessoris. You said that your school also did not seem to have the home feeling that Maria wanted in her schools. Jane Roland Martin described the 3 C's: care, concern, and connection as being an ample part of her school vision. As I was reading, I thought that the 3 C's are values that can help connect home and school. Maybe your school did not have a physical appearance of home, but instilled the values and attitudes of home into the students. I think it is so important to teach our students skills, attitudes, and values in school that help them develop pro-social behaviors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katelyn,
      Thanks for responding to my post! Yes, I think what drew me away from the Montessori learning style was the two very drastically different approaches that the directors had, but specifically how very strict the second director was. We lost a handful of kids throughout that year; some parents who confided in me that their children would come home and complain about how mean the director was. The students were expected to work quietly, just like the 3rd grade class. Don't get me wrong, there's times of the day where I also expect the students to be working quietly and independently, but there's so much to be said for collaborative peer learning. Especially for students in a preschool and kindergarten program; they are still learning social skills. They need to talk to one another, play games with one another, in order to do that.
      Thanks for mentioning the Kagan Strategies. I'm not familiar with that, but will definitely look it up!

      Delete
  2. Hi Neesha,

    Thank you for your post--it was both funny and sad. But I really enjoyed reading it and did a lot of inner laughing (LOVE that aura comment!).

    I don't think Martin has any real attachment to Montessori schools. I think part of her strategy must have been to show Americans how little we know about Montessori and how much the original vision has shifted over time. I think it essentially became about choice and individualism here, but Martin makes a good case that it was more about the use of peer relationships and taking care of the home/school environment as a way to naturally grow and learn.

    But in another way, when we think about one of the revolutionary aspects of her early schools, the fight in the US has already been won. If you think about it, it was all about making an atmosphere built specifically for kids--with desks, and chairs, and couches,and cubbies that were kid sized. We expect that in a school now, but it wasn't always that way. For a long time, kids inhabited a world built for adults. Even now, I'm guessing most schools still build windows at the height for adults, rather than thinking that a child may want to look out it!

    (When John Dewey went to try and buy desks for his lab school in Chicago, the salesman listened for a while, then said: You want desks the kids can work in. These are all for listening.)

    Overall, I think we have to say that the battle to make schools and the larger society more like a home--if that is what we want to try and do--comes down to relationship more than to decor. Our society is pretty good at creating spaces where kids are welcome. We are less good at creating things like multi-generational relationships, which one would think a true family would prize.

    Great post!

    Kyle



    ReplyDelete